My cousin, Diane, brought this Red Beans and Rice recipe to my family from Louisiana 30 years ago. The recipe was much simpler and much spicier in the tradition of Cajun food. My mother liked the basics of the recipe, but decide to make it more in the tradition of what our family would like …adding hamburger, extra tomato, mushrooms, green peppers and less tabasco sauce. In fact, I would now call this is an “All American” version of Red Beans and Rice! Despite the changes, the recipe was a big hit with our family, carrying on into a new generation. It is very rich, hearty, and filling. Serve it alone or with a light salad. Enjoy!
Red Beans and Rice
Ingredients and Directions
- 1 to 2 pounds ground beef, browned, and drained of grease.
- 1 to 2 packages of kielbasa sausage, sliced in ½ in slices (I use Hillshire Farms brand kielbasa)
- 16-ounce can dark red kidney beans
- ¼ cup minced onion (or to taste)
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 1 quart crushed or diced tomatoes
- 12-ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh mushrooms to taste (I have used canned mushrooms when I’m pinched for time)
Add all of the above ingredients to a 5 to 6 quart crockpot. Stir and mix well. Cook 6 to 8 hours on low setting.
- 3 to 4 cups white or brown rice, cooked.
Serve ladle-full of crockpot mixture over ½ cup serving of rice.
This is a great recipe to serve at large group events, church pot-luck suppers, super bowl parties, or soup kitchens and even to share with homebound friends.